PowerJCL® for z/OS Features and Benefits
PowerJCL for z/OS delivers:
- Comprehensive verification, syntax checking and standards enforcement of
all JCL keyword and positional parameters, procedures, INCLUDE groups, statement overrides, backward and forward references,
symbolics, programs, library members and other JCL features in TSO/ISPF or batch modes (single job or multiple jobs).
- Integrated and customized high-level programming
language (JCLScript) that provides procedural programming constructs for validating JCL and enforcing standards. JCLScript
incorporates familiar high-level language features from COBOL and other languages to allow efficient and flexible manipulation
- JCLScript's external
language interfaces allows IBM's REXX and other high-level or low-level languages (Assembler, CLIST, COBOL,
C++, etc.) the capability to manipulate JCL.
- In batch or TSO/ISPF modes, PowerJCL can construct an enhanced, customizable JCL Report Listing showing the results
of all user-specified processing.
- In TSO/ISPF edit mode, JCL developers and users can use PowerJCL to validate, analyze, and syntax-check JCL by invoking
a single edit macro command.
batch mode, PowerJCL can construct a cross-reference JCL repository for subsequent importing, loading and analysis using a
relational DBMS (i.e., IBM's DB2), SQL or other analytical tools or programs.
- PowerJCL can increase the productivity of programming resources
that are required to performance maintenance (e.g., standards enforcement) on JCL.
In batch or TSO/ISPF modes, PowerJCL can optionally be invoked to construct the customizable PowerJCL
Report Listing that provides a comprehensive reporting capability for any JCL validation or analytical requirement. The PowerJCL
Report Listing includes the following features and benefits:
- JCL syntax errors
and anomalies detected;
symbolics verified and resolved;
- JCL backward and forward references verified and resolved;
- JCL override statements verified and applied;
- JCL procedures and INCLUDE groups verified and expanded;
- JCL library (partitioned dataset) members [DSN=library(member)]
optionally verified and/or displayed;
- Programs [EXEC PGM=program] optionally verified;
- IF statement conditional expressions evaluated and verified;
- Displays locations for all JCL procedures, INCLUDE groups,
programs, and library members;
- Displays extensive user-friendly informational, warning, and error messages which can optionally be routed to other
destinations (JES log, ISPF pop-up window, etc.) or suppressed;
- Displays customizable user-specified messages and other information.
Additionally, PowerJCL provides a capability of allowing JCL developers and users comprehensive customization and
control of the content, format and layout of the PowerJCL Report Listing. This customization capability provides various types
of JCL developers and users the ability to tailor PowerJCL's validation and analysis features to meet specific needs. PowerJCL
also provides the capability of allowing JCL developers and users comprehensive flexibility for specifying the logical search
paths for JCL procedures, INCLUDE groups, library members and programs when processing JCL.
For ease of use and efficient maintenance, all PowerJCL processing option control
statements are specified using a single, editable, free-form SYSIN input file (library member, etc.) which can be tailored
for individual users, multiple workgroups or different batch jobs. The JCLScript programming language statements are also
specified in an editable and free-form file (library member, etc.) and do not require compilation.
The following screen examples illustrate PowerJCL validating JCL in various ISPF
E-JCL Software, Inc. is an IBM Business
Copyright © 2014 E-JCL Software, Inc. All rights reserved.